Friday, January 23, 2009

Diamond


Amid a sea of beautiful black men – he stood out like a diamond. He was like the wind blowing softly into areas kept safely hidden from the world. His words were like raindrops watering seeds that were planted before the soil had dried. And his eyes, his eyes were silently pleading for more than just a number, more than just a name, it was clear he wasn’t fronting – no…he wasn’t running game. The setting told a story, and the music lent a soundtrack – there were crazy hot beats lacing some shot ass tracks…and beautiful men pressed against me, in front and in back – I could have easily been distracted, but something inside me kept me on track. I had to know his name, I had to make a connect. So, I waited in the cut – let brother’s do their thing and when I saw he was open – I made my way in. It started with a smile – and the smile woke something inside – and then it move on to a quick convo – it’s hard to converse when you’re competing with the DJ…and so I gave him my name…told him I’d check on him again – and headed back over to my friend. I danced a bit, had a drink or two…had some fine ass dudes trying to kick it too, but I already knew who I wanted to pursue…so I kept my focus, did what I had to do. As the night wound down and the morning crept in, I knew I had to kick it with him, let him know I was feeling him – so I headed upstairs, waded through the crowd…got jostled around as I tried to spot him from afar – and then it hit me – he was already gone! Amid a sea of beautiful black men – he stood out like a diamond. And as I surveyed the room…looking for his eyes – a smiled formed and I felt electric inside – I spotted him – waiting for the bathroom…and as I approached he saw me too.


Though we rarely speak – I owe him my gratitude – for like the wind…blowing softly into areas kept safely hidden from the world, he unknowingly touched parts of my soul that allowed me to feel whole again. And like raindrops watering seeds that were planted before the soil had dried, his words, simple as they were, helped me to feel alive. Thank you for your random act of kindness…I only wish we could really connect, so you could share in this experience.

No comments: